Lace Kick Pleat Tutorial


If nothing else I am very practical about my clothes, as evidenced by the number of posts I've made commenting on my need to just add pockets. My skirt block is traced onto some firm calender paper that isn't quite long enough for knee length work skirts, so scrawled on the sides are notes to add 3 inches in length and a vent, which in the case of this skirt I forgot. 
 


I wear this skirt all the time, but in case of emergency I'm unable to move all that quickly in this skirt. To be honest getting in and out of the soccer mum car is a bit of an issue, as would performing CPR. Hence the practical need for a solution and the birth of the lace kick pleat.


I should've done some more exaggerated lunging to show the benefit of the lace kick pleat, but there are more than a few awkward bum/in action shots further down anyways.

For the kick pleat I used a bit of stretch scalloped eyelash lace instead of the actual skirt fabric for a bit of interest, and also because I think this would work well in RTW items. 

I cut between the scallops, which was about 3.5 inches width. I cut two to make up the height of the vent.


Sew the two bits of lace together. Tuck the bottom end under to create a straight edge. Don't trim the lace as it will likely fray.


Trim the lace into a triangle-ish shape, with the top of the vent being 1.25" wide. 


Unpick the back seam of your skirt to the height of your lace piece/as high as you want your kick pleat to be. Also unpick the hem a little as well.


Get a hot iron to press the seam edges that have just been unpicked, keeping the original seam creases to use as a sewing guide.


Attach the lace to each edge seperately using a zigzag stitch to attach the lace to the skirt fabric. The bottom edge of the lace should line up with the top edge of the hem crease.


Folding the skirt along the back seam you will notice  the top part of the lace sticking out, sew a straight line across the top of it to finish it, but you won't need to tuck it anywhere. (If you cut a normal pointy triangle, the very pointy end will be difficult to attach to the seam and fray, this way you can reduce the risk and you get a cute pleat at the top as well).




Re-sew the hem following the creases that you ironed before and give the vent a good press.


And there you have it a surprise kick pleat. 


In full stretch. 


Now excuse the many bum shots, but the camera angle has to be weird to capture the kick pleat in action. The end.
 

Excuse me walking into a closed door also. 


Enjoy a shot of the dog instead. 


Happy Crafting!
Mel
mel@all.wrapped.up Web Developer

The indecisive crafter

5 comments:

  1. Great job. I recently made my first skirt ever, without a kick pleat. So I think I'll use this method!
    J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sydney girl,

      Skirts are such a good satisfying project because as long as you can get it over your bum you basically have the fit right, unlike pants and crotches or tops and bust adjustments. This is my go to tutorial for how to sew a kick pleat in http://www.afashionablestitch.com/2010/sewalongs/pencil-skirt-lesson-2-back-vent-tutorial/.

      Hope it helps,
      Mel

      Delete
  2. Hahaha, love the last few pics - you're hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'd also love to know what template you use for your skirt. It fits you wonderfully!

      Delete
    2. Hi Alice,

      The butt shots, lot of lols from friends I assure you. I used a tutorial on House of Marmalade, but it got taken down. These two links are my new referrals for http://so-sew-easy.com/making-a-pencil-skirt-sloper/ and http://craftingzuzzy.blogspot.com.au/2012/05/pencil-skirt-part-four-sewing-zipper.html.

      Happy Crafting,
      Mel

      Delete