Brigitte Dress


I managed to find some time to take pictures of two different handmade items in my 'photo shoot' yesterday. Depressingly, I ended up changing from my point and shoot camera to the macbook webcam, clearly time to get a new camera. So excuse the medicore quality photos. 


If you follow my facebook page you might have seen by new self drafted skirt yesterday, and read about my secondment to a rural hospital. It's been quite the experience, the weather is warm always, and I'm learning heaps. I stayed at hospital until 4am last night to watch an ischaemic bowel surgery, which was definitely worth it; I won't go into the details because if most of you are like me, you are probably eating whilst you do your blog roll catch up. 

In my last blog post I recommended super cheap fabrics in Dandenong, and this is one of the $2.99 fabrics I picked up in my post night shift fabric splurge. I've always been very jeally (read jealous but wobbly with it) when other bloggers post about a dress they "whipped up", but now I've got access to good cheap jersey and knit fabrics, I completely understand this term now. 

I used the ponte de roma, paint type fabric for the free Simple Sew Brigitte dress pattern. 



This dress fits all my favourite qualities in a dress, it can be belted, which suits my body shape, but sans belt it is a nice loose muumuu type tent and I can eat as much as I like without being constricted. I used a trick I learnt from the Tessuti mandy boat tee to just fold over the neckline and stitch it down before joining the shoulder seams. No fancying facings or linings in this knit dress.



I cut a size ten, but given that this was a knit fabric, an eight would have worked better. I also elminated the back seam and darts. I narrowed the sleeves for a closer fit.


I added pockets too which is pretty standard for me. I did make sure to cut the pockets against the stretchy grain so I wouldn't end up with a suspicious looking bulge near my groin.


 

Would definitely recommend this pattern as a great addition to any wardrobe, a nice simple, basic shift.



mel@all.wrapped.up Web Developer

The indecisive crafter

5 comments:

  1. Lovely!
    SSB https://facebook.com/sassysewingbees

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was very useful for me. Keep sharing such ideas in the future as well. This was actually what I was looking for, and I am glad to came here! Thanks for sharing the such information with us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you not sew the zipper in the back? I'm about to start this pattern and I'm wondering if it's really necessary since the fabric will be so stretchy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah. I eliminated the back zip and the back darts as well. Have fun with the the patterns. It's super versatile.

      Happy crafting,
      Mel

      Delete