New fabric + a clean sewing machine


It's been a while since my last post but I've been busy sewing and studying. As I mentioned in my last post I've been doing some long crazy hours waiting for births, we have to observe three, amongst other thing. But I also had a bumper week with my All Wrapped Up + Handmade Etsy shop, 7 sale in 7 days, it's probably the best week I've had ever. But given that most of my items are made to order it's also made for a busy busy week. 

I've also almost come to the end of some of my yards of fabric. And with the Australia dollar still going strong, to convert from USD to Australian would lose me more money than it would cost me to buy more fabric. So I went on a fabric shopping spree of course. I finally found more of the timeless treasures owl fabric and I bought some larger print fabrics, one of which I've decided to use for a  laptop cover. All I have to do now is decide on a design. I might just go with one of these.


If your my facebook follower you may have seen my post on to the Lincraft facebook wall looking for a fabric, they replied really promptly but since then haven't replied. Sad face. My friends tell me I sounded crazy desperate. It's because they seem to have discontinued their line of micro pindot fabrics which I've always just thought were part of their standard fabrics and would never had to worry about them running out of. Oh how I would've hoarded the fabric. I used the orange micro pindot fabric to line both my elephant and owl fabric Sandi ID wallets, and given my difficulty in matching fabrics I've had a hard time trying to find a substitute.


So back to my bumper sewing week. I was having a bit of a problem with triple stitching my white thread as it was coming out all grey like. So....I've never cleaned my sewing machine before, but I figured there was some machine oil or something staining my thread, so I grabbed the midget screw driver my machine came with and got to work. When I opened my sewing machine, it was like the moment when you take off the keys of your keyboard and see how much gunk is there....

Can you see or the pinky/purple dust in the machine? It was greasy...ewww. It gets worse.


I grabbed a cotton tip and pushed the dust out from between the feed dogs (?) and it was so greasy and old it came out in the shape of the slot....


Anyways it's probably time to clean my machine again. Apparently every 10 hours of sewing? Or was that machine needle? Well you should change your needle regularly anyways. On a side note I have a Janome machine but lots of left over singer needles, they work together just fine! I googled it once and it said I would kill my machine, but it's okay so far. Fingers crossed. 

Happy Crafting, 
Mel
mel@all.wrapped.up Web Developer

The indecisive crafter

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful fabrics, where did you buy them from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Ann,

      I bought the owl fabric from Magnolia Lane Fabrics Etsy Shop (http://www.etsy.com/shop/MagnoliaLaneFabrics) and all the other lovely fabrics were from Bello Berry Fabric also on Etsy (http://www.etsy.com/shop/BelloBerryFabricShop).

      Hope that helps,
      Mel

      Delete
  2. Thanks so much! I will be checking out those shops shortly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete