Thai Iced Tea Cookies


I was never a big fan of Thai food. My only exposure to it was the fast food version of green and red curries. Then I started dating a Thai guy and ended up falling in love....with papaya salad, sticky rice with chicken, with mango and Thai Iced Tea. Everytime I go to Bangkok, I plan my arrival time so that I can have at least two weekends so I can go to the famous JJ market at least twice. I love JJ market - not only for the cheap shopping and supplying my closet with $3 work skirts, but also because every couple of meters there are stalls like this:


I love the sweet sweet goodness that is Thai Iced Tea (Cha Yen). Try not to look when they make it for you, it will put you in an instant sugar coma. There is at least THREE, that's right THREE tablespoons of sugar per cup. And when you ask for less sugar you get two tablespoons. And sometimes there's condensed milk too. I've tried making it at home with less sugar, definitely not as nice without it.

Phood and Photos: Thai Iced Tea with evaporative milk
Thai Table: Thai Iced Tea with sugar + condensed milk
One of my friend's birthdays is coming up and given that it so impossible to sew gifts for guys, I decided to bake him something instead. I was worried about how these Thai tea cookies would turn out, but they definitely retain the thai tea taste, and although a little gritty because of the tea leaves they are delicious. Will be making them again soon.


Keep reading after the jump for the recipe and photos.



Thai Tea Shortbread Cookies adapted from She Shimmers
(Makes 3 dozen 2-inch rounds)

Ingredients 
  • 3/4 cup (6 ounces) unsalted butter, softened
  • 2 tablespoons loose Thai tea leaves 
I'm not too sure what brand this actually is, obviously over branded as "number one brand" thumbs up! But it's the one that I always see used in Thailand and it tastes amazing. All endorsed by Pruet as genuine.
  • 1 tablespoon water - warm
  • 1/2 cup white granulated sugar 
  • 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour (plain flour), sifted
  • 1/2 cup cornstarch (British = corn flour), rice flour, sifted

Method


  • Beat the butter with sugar with an electric beater until just combined.

  •  



  • Add the tea leaves and water, keep beating until the butter is creamed. 




  • Gently beat in the plain and rice/corn flour until just combined.

  •  



  • I didn't have any cornflour in the house but I did have rice flour which is a good substitute for cornflour in this case. 

  •  



  •  Keep beating the flour in gently - it will begin to clump together a bit and look a bit like minced meat. Get a spatula and scrape down the sides and the bottom to ensure you combine everything. 



  • Place the dough onto a large piece of plastic wrap spread out on the counter top. 
  • With the help of the plastic wrap, form the dough into a log, two inches in diameter. Chill the dough for an hour. OR
  • My dough was actually quite crumbly, so I couldn't form a log very well, I just clumped it together and shoved it in the fridge. It helped a bit.
  • Chill for 20 minutes
  • I forgot to take photos of this part as my hand was covered in dough!
  • Preheated the oven to 350°F/ 180°C. Line two large cookie sheets with baking paper or silicone sheets.
  • Slice the chilled dough with a large knife (Chinese cleaver is best!) into approximately 1/4-inch rounds. You should end up with about 36 rounds. OR 
  • Roll the dough out on a floured surface (also flour your rolling pin) to 1cm thick - cut out shapes with cookie cutters.
  • My dough was still quite crumbly and wouldn't form a log, but it would form a ball and was rollable; so I just kept clumping it together to cut shapes.
  • Arrange the cookies rounds on the prepared cookie sheet (the cookies don't spread too much so no need to spread apart too much)
  • Bake for about 20 minutes, rotating the sheets once at 10-minute mark.
  • Let the cookies cool completely right on the cookie sheets.


  • Happy crafting and baking!

    Ps. If you have time and have not already done so please click the link to sign the petition to support an increase in medical internship places in Australia to actually help ease the doctor shortage.
    mel@all.wrapped.up Web Developer

    The indecisive crafter

    No comments:

    Post a Comment