Key Organiser Wallet + Rivet Setting Tutorial


You would think now exams are over I would be able to post more regularly, but I have been busily crafting for the upcoming markets I have committed to. I will holding my first stall at The Handmade Show on Dec 10th, 10.30 - 3.30 at St. Anthony's Parish Hall -164 Neerim Rd
(Cnr Grange & Neerim Roads) Glen Huntly 3163 and another at the Blackbird Market in Fitzroy on the 17th December. If you are in Melbourne, come and visit me - if you mention my blog I will give you 10% discount on all products - at either market. Also if you are interested in purchasing or checking out my craft supplies, I will be selling those at the Blackbird Market. 

Here is a sneak peak at some of the items I will be selling - an original design key wallet which has 6 key hooks, with a clear ID pocket for your driver's license and another pocket which can hold up to 15 cards.

This whole preparing for a market experience has been one massive lesson. There is such a huge difference between crafting to sell and crafting for fun. The things I make for myself are usually a bit (ok, a  lot) haphazardly made. I'm not really fussed about straight, straight lines and I usually only ever make one or two of an item not 10! I think I have finally learnt the importance of measuring and cutting properly. It's usually the least fun part of the whole crafting process so I tend to rush through it and snip a bit of fabric and pull the rest of the way rather than cut a straight line, now I cut. There's an old saying, measure twice, cut once - now more than ever do I understand the saying. With about 30 things made under my belt I still have a far ways to go - it's like cramming for an end of year exam, but not as intense because failure does not mean repeating a year. But my sleep/wake cycle has entered full study mode - 4am sleeping and 2pm wakeups - I have no idea why. I think it's because I prefer the dead silence at night time. 

Anyhoo I have managed to sneak in some camera shots between the ever tedious tracing, cutting, more cutting and sewing to post a tutorial. 

All of you probably know how much I love a good shortcut or cheat method to accomplish things. I have tried for a long long time to find a way around attaching rivets with a hammer....but unfortunately I have failed. If you have read my tutorial on attaching metal snap buttons with pliers, you will know I have bruised my finger and wasted many many stud buttons trying to align the parts correctly and instead favour pliers. I tried my favourite snap pliers, normal pliers and my dad's garden pliers on the rivets, with no success, the shaft always pierced through the cap instead of sitting in it nicely. Thus, I finally caved and thought I had better buy a rivet setter tool - which in of itself was a challenge as no where in Australia seemed to sell them for a reasonable price. 

I finally found a rivet setter and lo and behold am finally able to use these pretty pretty key organisers/ fobs that I bought.

The following tutorial on how to attach rivets is the same regardless of what you are attaching but if you like to purchase these key fobs they are now for sale in my etsy shop for $1.50 each. 
Keep reading after the jump for the rivet tutorial 

WHAT YOU WILL NEED for the purposes of attaching a key organiser:
  • 2 rivets 
  • key organiser
  • pencil 
  • seam ripper 
  • anvil + rivet setter 
  • hammer 

  • Also you will probably notice I am doing this tutorial outside on the brick floor as you need a solid surface to hammer the rivets. I didn't want to risk my desk, and the carpet and even solid stone kitchen floor was a bit iffy - more steady outside.

WHAT TO DO: 
  • Grab the item you want to attach the key organiser to.
  • Place the key organiser over the fabric and align it so it is straight.
  • You want the curved edge of the key organiser plate facing down, as you want the hooks to dangle outside the wallet.
 
  •  Using the pencil, colour in the two holes in the plate of the key organiser.
  • Using a seam ripper, hook underneath the circle and make a small hole.
  • Turn the fabric over and use your pencil again to widen the hole, try not to enlarge it more than the size of the rivet, otherwise the rivet will roll around too much.
  
  • This is what it should look like at the back.
 
  • These are double cap rivets, both sides are suitable for finishing as there is no 'wrong' side. 
  • The short rivet (2nd from right) is the cap, the one on the far right is the shaft.
 
  • Grab the shaft and push it through the holes in the fabric. 
  • You want to hammer the cap onto the shaft, so adjust the sides accordingly for your project.
  • This is what it should look like on the inside.
  • Push the cap onto the shaft, it will give way a little and you will hear a click, but it will till be loose and jiggly.
  •  You can see in this picture the cap is a little loose on the rivet, but not sitting tightly.
  • This is the anvil the one on the left is the curved side, and the one on the right is the flat size. 
  • For double cap rivets you want to use the curved sided of the anvil to keep the slightly curved cap of the rivets smooth and intact.
  •   This is the rivet setter with the curved side the one you want to use.
  •  Place the shaft rivet on top of the centre of the curved side of the anvil.
  • Align the rivet setter with the cap of the rivet.

  • Hammer the rivet setter - the one of the right has been set, the one on left hasn't.
  • This is what it should look like once it is attached. 
And these are pictures of ones I prepared earlier:


Happy Crafting! 
Mel 

PS. Don't forget to come and visit me at The Handmade Show in Carneige on Saturday December 10.
mel@all.wrapped.up Web Developer

The indecisive crafter

1 comment: